As we age, it's common for fine lines and wrinkles to appear on our faces to mark the passing years. For many people, however, these fine lines are unwelcome, and they wish to maintain their youthful appearance. Luckily, it's easy to stop the signs of aging and regain the glow you had in your youth, thanks to BOTOX® Cosmetic. As a safe and effective treatment option, BOTOX® Cosmetic is a great way to soften existing lines and stop new wrinkles from forming.
What Is BOTOX® Cosmetic?
BOTOX® Cosmetic is a naturally occurring neurotoxin protein that blocks nerve activity and helps prevent muscles from contracting and forming wrinkles. Since its initial FDA-approval in 1989, OTOX® Cosmetic has been used by millions of patients to help them achieve their aesthetic goals and feel more confident in the way they look.
How Do BOTOX® Cosmetic Injections Work?
Our BOTOX® Cosmetic injections only take a few minutes and do not require anesthesia. During your session, one of our expert injectors will use a microneedle to inject BOTOX® Cosmetic into the desired area. After receiving your injection, you can go home or return to work or school. Depending on the injection site and your dosage, we may recommend staying upright for four hours and avoiding exercising. Patients should also be wary of rubbing the injected area, as this may cause the BOTOX® Cosmetic to spread to other muscles in the face.
How Long Does BOTOX® Cosmetic Last?
Generally, you should expect to see results from the BOTOX® Cosmetic within seven to 14 days. It's best to avoid alcohol and anti-inflammatory medications before treatment to reduce the risk of bruising.
After your injection, the results will last between three and six months. As the effects of the injection begin to fade, the muscles will regain movement, and lines and wrinkles will start to reappear and require treatment again. However, the lines and wrinkles that appear will be less severe than before due to the muscle shrinking.
What to Expect When You Receive BOTOX® Cosmetic
While BOTOX® Cosmetic is a safe treatment option and rarely results in serious side effects, some temporary symptoms can occur, such as:
- A feeling of weakness in local muscles
- A numb feeling near the injection site
- Flu-like symptoms or a general unwell feeling like an upset stomach
- Slight swelling or pain at the injection site
- Your eyes experiencing severe tearing or dryness
- Your smile becoming crooked or you experiencing drooling
- Bruising near the injection site
If you rub the treated area, you may also experience eyelid drooping. This side effect is rare and typically goes away completely in three weeks.
Benefits of BOTOX® Cosmetic
BOTOX® Cosmetic is one of the most popular treatment options due to its quick and painless injection process. Some additional benefits of receiving BOTOX® Cosmetic are:
- Customizing your procedure: When you schedule a consultation, we will comprehensively discuss your treatment goals and areas of concern. This session helps us create a personalized treatment plan meeting your goals.
- Enjoying a cost-effective treatment: Compared to surgery, BOTOX® Cosmetic is one of the more inexpensive treatment options. This is especially true since you can get as many or as few treatments as you want based on your schedule and budget.
- Improving multiple health conditions: Receiving BOTOX® Cosmetic can help improve many health conditions, such as muscle pain, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder and migraines, as it helps relax the muscles that may contribute to these conditions.
BOTOX® Cosmetic vs. Xeomin® vs. Dysport®
When restoring your youthful glow, there are numerous options on the market to consider. Two of the top choices after BOTOX® Cosmetic are Xeomin® and Dysport®. Xeomin® only contains one ingredient and goes deeper into the skin for a faster results turnaround and reduced risk of allergic reaction.
You can also receive Dysport®, which tends to spread further than BOTOX® Cosmetic, making it ideal for areas that would otherwise need multiple injections. Dysport® also begins working in two to three days, so it's an excellent option for people looking to experience faster results.
At Miami Plastic Surgery®, we offer all three injection options, and our team is happy to discuss which is right for your needs.
Botox® Side Effects
Potential Botox® side effects may include:
- Bruising, bleeding, redness, or swelling at the injection site,
- Pain and/or muscle weakness at the injection site,
- Droopy eyelid(s) or cockeyed eyebrows,
- Crooked smile or drooling,
- Eye dryness or excessive tearing
- Muscle stiffness, neck or back pain,
- Flu-like symptoms ( fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose),
- Dizziness, drowsiness, tired feeling, and
Some of these symptoms may indicate an allergic reaction.
If you are allergic to eggs, keep in mind this material is prepared with an albumin (egg) base. Additionally, if the patient is pregnant or breastfeeding, Botox® is not recommended.
Miami Botox® Results
The results usually start to be noticed within three to 10 days, sometimes even sooner. On average, they tend to last in most people for between three and four months. As time passes, the muscle activity will gradually return to normal.
Miami Botox® Recovery Time
Botox® is known as a ‘lunchtime procedure’ because patients can return to their daily activities, including work, after a few hours. Patients, though, are advised to avoid:
- Lying down for at least 4 hours after the treatments, and
- Exercise for at least 24 hours,
- Consuming alcohol prior and after the treatment for at least a week, and
- Anti-inflammatory medicines and aspirins for almost two weeks before the treatment takes place. This will help reduce bruising.
Refresh and Renew Your Appearance With the Best BOTOX® Cosmetic in Miami From Miami Plastic Surgery®
Are you ready to regain your youthful appearance? Our board-certified facial plastic surgeons have years of experience providing safe and effective BOTOX® Cosmetic injections in Miami. Whether you want to reduce the appearance of crow's feet or help limit the severity of age lines, our team is happy to work with you to help you look your best. Call us at 305-595-2969 today, or complete our online contact form to book a consultation and start your journey toward rejuvenating your appearance.