Having a wonderful new baby comes with some sacrifices – for 9 months you’re not supposed to enjoy a glass of wine, you may have to forgo some of your favorite foods, and even some parts of your beauty routine may have to be put on pause. But there must be some skin care options that are safe for you to indulge in, right?
What should you avoid during pregnancy?
Of course, you should always discuss any spa treatment you are considering with your OB/GYN to make sure it’s all right. But a general list of what you should avoid includes:
• Laser treatments
• Most chemical peels
• Body contouring procedures
• Injectable fillers
What skin care treatments are safe?
The staff at Miami Plastic Surgery® are experts in pampering and can help you to find a treatment that not only makes you feel and look beautiful but is safe for your baby. Here are some safe skincare options:
• For dry skin and stretch marks: Moisturizing products that contain peptides, hyaluronic acid, cocoa butter, and coconut oil are good for dry skin. Frequently using these products on skin that is stretching can help to prevent stretch marks. But make sure you also drink a lot of water, which is always a good idea and is good for both you and baby.
• To prevent wrinkles: Topical antioxidants can help to maintain collagen in your skin and protect it from damage. Look for products with antioxidants such as vitamins C, E, K, and B3 and green tea.
• For acne: Glycolic acid in large amounts should be avoided during pregnancy, but acne products typically don’t contain a lot. Products with glycolic, azelaic, or salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide are safe to use.
• Like drinking lots of water, protecting yourself from the sun is always important, whether you are pregnant or not! Try mineral-based sunscreen (but also make sure to wear a wide brimmed hat and take other measures to prevent sun damage).
You deserve some pampering, and you deserve beautiful skin! The staff at Miami Plastic Surgery® has different options to help you achieve both during this special time. Call (305) 595-2969 today for an appointment!